Welcome to the Natural Light: From Start to Finish course! I’m delighted you’re here!
1. Read the course syllabus below.
2. Navigate through the course menu above to find your weekly lessons and materials.
Natural Light: From Start to Finish
Welcome to the Brooke Snow Natural Light Photography Class! This course is designed to teach all the fabulous intricacies of working with natural light in all types of conditions.
This course does not focus on the basics of manual shooting, as it is assumed that at this point you have a working understanding of how to use your camera. Nevertheless, if you do need a very condensed refresher, please check out the ToolBox tab of the website. Understanding how to adjust your exposure yourself (as opposed to the often incorrect exposure Auto mode chooses for your lighting situation) is absolutely key in getting the most value out of the light in your environment.
There are four main modules for this course, broken down as follows:
Week One: Look for the light first, the location second.
Where is the light coming from?
How to look for clues in your environment to find the light.
What you see is what you get–accurately positioning your subjects.
Week Two: Troubleshooting.
An in depth look at the most common lighting challenges and their solutions.
Week Three: Light and Composition.
How can we use light to enhance our composition and assist in visual storytelling?
Different moods and a few lighting tricks!
Week Four: The Final Stage of the Vision
The role of editing in relationship to vision.
A brief look at the live session SOOC images and the simple adjustments that enhance the light using Lightroom.
Each module is accompanied with an assignment to implement and practice the principles and techniques discussed.
In addition to these course modules listed above, there is a toolbox area for the course covering general topics that may be of benefit to the professional photographer.
These tutorials are not associated with a correlating assignment or schedule.
Most of the course is already present on the website. There is A LOT of information. PACE YOURSELF! I know it can be tempting to jump ahead, but I encourage you to take the bite size pieces broken down into each individual week to avoid information overload!
How does this class work?
1. Each week you’ll view the current video tutorial lessons for the week. Some weeks have more than one tutorial and if possible I encourage you to watch them either in the same sitting or same day to see how they compliment each other.
2. Homework assignments correspond with each weeks photography principles taught in the tutorials.
3. This course is a digital product and does not include a moderating instructor or interactive student base. We understand how integral feedback can be to the learning experience, so we have included several bonus recordings of past student critiques of the same assignments for you to learn from. These critiques highlight the most common questions and experiences that students have had in this course.
Homework assignments are issued each week to further enhance your learning experience of the weeks principles. Assignments offer you the application of information and true hands on practice.
Thank you for being here. I’m so excited for you and the empowering experience photography can be when we understand how to work with Natural Light.